Date(s) - 21/05/2013
SCARF & the Press Institute of India ( PII) instituted awards for Mental Health Reporting in 2012. This was primarily to encourage more journalists to write on mental health related issues in an attempt to reduce the stigma in the society.
From nearly 25 entries received from all over the country, the jury comprising of Dr.Jaya Shreedhar (Asian College of Journalism and the chair of the awards committee), Dr.K.S.Jacob (Psychiatrist at CMC, Vellore and freelance writer) and Sashi Nair ( Director, PII) selected three stories in the English language and 2 in the regional languages.
The awards were given away by Mr. Gopala Krishna Gandhi, Former Governor of West Bengal in the presence of Padmabhushan Dr.Smt. Sarada Menon, Founder SCARF on May 21, 2013. The award consisted of a citation and cash prize.
The winners for the English language category are
- 1st Prize – Ms. Gunjan Sharma for her excellent work in the “Dammed Lives and statistics”published in The Week (Rs. 10,000)
- 2nd Prize – Mr. Pervez Majeed for his meticulous and well written article “The silent Sufferers”Published in The Sahara Times (Rs. 6000)
- 3dr Prize – Mr. P. B. Jayakumar for his enthusiastic and clean researched article “Stressed out Nation” published in The Business World (Rs. 4000)
The winners for the Local Language category are
- 1st Prize – Mr. Hamza Alungal for his series on mental health issues titled “Manasika Arogya Kendramgalalla Manoraga Kendrangal” published in the Siraj daily (Rs. 10,000)
- 2nd Prize – Mr. Ranjith Chatoth for his sublime work in “Cover for discordant minds” published in the Mathurbhumi Arogyamasika (Rs. 6000)